Tourist visa is an authorization of the designated country/countries of destination within the Schengen Area issued to the citizens of countries that have mandatory visa requirements from the Schengen Zone with the sole purpose of traveling in the designated Schengen country/countries for pleasure or on a visit to their relatives living in the Schengen Zone. The holder of this type of visa is not required to have the citizenship of the designated country in order to spend time with their relatives or visiting the designated Schengen country however such an authorization has its limitations as well.
f you plan to travel to Germany and Europe, to visit relatives, participate in a summer school or work seminar then Schengen visa is the way to travel in Germany and all the European states that are part of the Schengen agreement.
With the Schengen agreement countries in Europe decided to gradually abolish border controls, and make movement of people much easier.
With a Schengen visa you can travel and stay not only in Germany, but all 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement for a period of up to 90 days:
Austria Germany Lithuania Slovakia
Belgium Greece Luxemburg Slovenia
Czech Republic Hungary Malta
Denmark Iceland Netherlands Sweden
Estonia Italy Norway Switzerland
Finland Latvia Poland
France Liechtenstein Portugal
- Completed application form in English and German only
- Passport size photographs (see visa photo requirements for details)
- Valid national passport
- Personal bank statements for the last three months
- Confirmation letter from your health insurance stating coverage for emergency medical treatment with a minimum of €30,000
- Leave letter of your company (if employed)
- Proof of accommodation. Hotel bookings for your stay.
- Proof of flight reservation. You can use the visa consultation services like this one or find one online.
- No-objection certificate of school or university (if student)
- Personal covering letter with entire travel plan (itinerary)
- Proof of civil status: Marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card (if applicable)
- Your driver’s license and/or utility bill in your name as proof of residence in the consular where you plan to apply for the visa
How long is the visa valid for?
Tourist visa is commonly valid for stays no more than 90 days. If you will be traveling a lot and not only in one Schengen country it’s recommendable to fill in the “multiple entry” gap in the application form. This way you will be able to enter and leave Schengen Zone as you please for the amount of time allowed on your visa issued.
If you desire to stay longer than the allowed period of time, you will have to apply again in your embassy to prologue your visa.